Saturday, May 25, 2013

On Being Myself To Me

Smile, grumpy!



Whatever your line of work maybe, or from wherever you may be coming from, I hope what you are doing goes according what is right and what can make you happy with yourself. It has been said that the ultimate judge/critic is one's self (or something like that). Living this way is a surefire way to get up happy each day. This piece from Edgar Guest taken from Frank Mihalic's The Next 500 Stories should sum it up:

On Being Myself To Me

I have to live  with myself and so
I want to be fit for myself to know
I want to be able as days go by
Always to look myself in the eye

I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done
I want to go out with my head erect
I want to deserve all men's respect

But here in the struggle for fame and pelf
I want to be able to like myself
I don't want to look myself and know
That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show

I know what others may never know
I can never fool myself and so,
Whatever happiness, I want to be
Self respecting and conscience free
 

No comments:

Post a Comment